Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: New LeicaMacro-Elmar M 90/4
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 16:16:50 -0700

Douglas Herr wrote:

> Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net> wrote:
>
> > There is a 90mm Macro-Elmarit R already, (and has been since 1972)
>
> That's news to me.
>
> Mark Rabiner wrote:
> >
> > I wonder if they'll port the 90 f4 macro over to the R system it would
> > be nice if they did.
> >

> For what purpose?  for its compact size?  The late 90 Elmarit was quite compact, and someone interested in a compact camera probably wouldn't be interested in an SLR.  As a macro lens?  There was a 100mm f/4 macro, which was replaced with the 100 APO.  The macro focussing helix is what makes these lenses big.  I don't understand your thinking, Mark.
>
> Doug Herr

IF the new F 4 is significantly smaller and lighter with out the
additional macro hardware than the existing Elmarit 2.8  which it looks
like to me despite macro and i have an Elmarit one for my M I don't
think SLR guys don't think compact. Me I just blew a half grand on the
Cosina 45 pancake for the Nikon and am smiling the more for it. My
un-intimidating cameras are with me a lot now and it's a 90 with
digital. I make the most money with 90's and have fun doing it too!
 On an R8 or 9 it would be a lens cap but on early R's a compact lens or
pancake even makes for a whole different portable package. You'd carry
your camera with you all day maybe. Maybe on your belt. Optimized for
macro? breaks my heart! Also it seems a waste to come out with just
about any lens for the M or R which is not easily portable to the other
system and not do it. How much extra R&D does that take cheaper than
starting from scratch. Sometimes you don't know when you will hit a
winner. Some glass which captures the imagination of the spending manual
focus public shooting film. (A good one tenth of one percent of the
market if that)
And i say so because if i was out right now shooting with an R6 I'd like
THAT lens on my camera. If I was out all day or walking. I think it's
incredibly cool. Why do we leave our 90's at home? They weight as much
as a 50 and 35 combined that's why. I'm glad they are thinking compact
because grab shooting without a 90 is just a shame. Most idiots would at
least shoot with a normal zoom which covers both wide and tele bases and
then some. (Not that i don't have two of them)
I love 90's I've got the Elmarit as i just wrote and the apo Asph as
well and will soon get an older one with removable head for use with my
burgeoning Viso system.
About 10 days ago i was bitchin on the lug for a compact 90 and everyone
else was thinking 1.4's for the same. I got my wish; they're interested
in the focusing hardware instead. We've got Leica doing innovated
interesting and original things for our M system here i hope we
appreciate it. Heck they could have redone the 50 Summilux that would
have got me all teary eyed.

 So a compact tele what we (at least me) ask for on the lug and that's
what they've' givin us. Have we ASKED for a 90 macro i don't recall
anyone being that weird i do often recall a recall of the dual range
sorely wanted this is perhaps better as macro is a tele thing now. We
know that works better now. Give us some space so the bumblebee doesn't
see itself in our UV filter and think it's got competition and attack.
And we don't cast a shadow from our lens on the subject. And do our back
in. And we can do merciless portraits of humans. Have no mercy yes we
are talking nose pores galore on guys especially. Bring on those nose
pores and make them pay extra for them!

I don't have an R body yet i thought i would by now but the digital
thing hit this year and you can only be 4 places at once. They beckon
though. For macro and tele work. Oops.
Hows about a 180 macro Ernst? Stepan? Then I'll get me an R body for
sure. The 100 is loosing it's lure for me I'd go first for the 60 and
change my name to Sebastião Rãbiner.

... an F 4 lens with it's small air to glass front surface appeals for
reasons including less flare when shooting into a lot of lights which i
try to do a lot of... .. get those lights in front of me and maybe make
for a package not requiring a lens shade. (Don't pass out folks)

Mark Rabiner

Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com