Subject: Re: [Leica] vulcanite on m3
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 13:05:43 EDT

In a message dated 9/24/03 8:52:58 AM, jerryleh@pacbell.net writes:

<< > the vulcanite of my m3 breaks down. The most damage is on the back door.

About 15 years ago, Leica NJ sent me a precut replacement for the covering on
the back door of my M3. I don't recall why they sent it to me. It wasn't made
of Vulcanite. It seemed to be a textured self-adhering plastic material. I
never used it and don't know where I put it. What I've noticed about Vulcanite
is that it can't withstand hot temperatures. It expands, comes up against the
metal edge of the camera and cracks off. I made the repair with black auto
windshield sealer. Over the years it hardens and is almost impossible to detect as
a patch.

br

Replies: Reply from Jerry Lehrer <jerryleh@pacbell.net> (Re: [Leica] vulcanite on m3)