Subject: Re: [Leica] some first tries with a III
From: "Neal Friedenthal" <neal@nairobisafari.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 00:31:54 -0400

Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 02:19:58 +0000
From: "Dan States" <dstate1@hotmail.com>
Simon, most likely the stripes you have are caused by the edges of the
shutter curtains not being smooth.  They could have bumps or actually frayed
material.  When the shutter is set to the highest speeds, the slit moving
across the frame is very small.  Slight deviations from the proper width
will cause these stripes.

To check for this problem fire your camera on B or T (if it has these
settings) with the lens off and take a look at the condition of the edges of
the curtains.  If they are not perfectly smooth you need to have them
replaced.  I had this done a few years ago and the problem, and my 150.00
USD went away.

The other option is to use slow shutter speeds.  This causes the slit to be
much wider, and therfore the bumps are a smaller % of the total width.  It
doesn't eliminate the problem, but it can make it less noticable.

Best wishes
Dan States
Grand Forks ND

#Simon,
In addition to this at higher shutter speeds these older shutters often have dirt in the tracks which causes the lead curtain to slow down a bit allowing the second curtain to catch up. A couple of these
shots appear to "fade" at one edge leading me to believe that this is happening, the slit is actually closing down as it travels. I think a CLA is in order at least.
Neal F