Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: [Rollei] Leica envy rears its itself again!
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 20:32:03 EDT

In a message dated 9/23/03 4:00:55 PM, jerryleh@pacbell.net writes:

<< The Kine Exacta was the pioneer in SLR, though the
Russians may dispute that.  I refer, of course, to 35mm SLRs. >>

I think they spelled it Exakta. I think it was made in Dresden. I believe it
hit the market in about 1937-38. Leica never bothered to compete with it. The
original Exakta was rather a clumsy affair. Alpa used the same exterior type
of shutter stopdown mechanism. Does anyone recall the Exa, a cut down version
of the Exakta? It was Nikon that really updated reflex design and made it a
mainstream product. All the linkages were internal in the Nikon. Still a great
camera. Talk about a model that would be easy to design a digital back for...
The Nikon F+ could shed the entire back and base plate in one unit. I still use
a Nikon F. I use a thumb for a light meter.

On of my friends still mourns a Nikon F2 that he left unattended while
teaching a darkroom class.

br

br