Subject: Re: [Leica] Now Departing...Your Favorite >Specialty Camera Store
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 09:02:24 -0700

Yeah, like cars were crammed down the throats of buggy-whip
manufacturers. If people didn't buy cars, then buggy whips would still
be a sector of the economy. People are adopting digital. The
snapshooters, yes, but also professionals who have seen what it can do.
Quality has NOTHING to do with it, other than digital promises one day
to make it better than film ever will.

I would have denied that five years ago. Then I started using digital
seriously at work.

Nobody is holding a gun to  your head and saying "go digital." Film is
better than it ever was.

I work with the best gem photographers in the world. Literally. Some
still use 4x5 and 120 and 35mm film. But some of them are finding
digital is cheaper, and better in terms of color accuracy. Period.

Cheaper and better in the sense that you can hook a cameras up to a
laptop and take the photo, and instantly see it directly on-screen and
make adjustments. It's better than Polaroid and cheaper. And the photo
ends up better than it would be on film because they can keep shooting
until it's perfect and it costs less than if they shot one frame.
Polaroids are expensive (except maybe to those few New York
photographers who make $15,000 day.

Of course, that's not the Leica style. Digital doesn't give you any
more control than with film when shooting candids. Film has plenty of
competitive fight left. No doubt about it.

On Saturday, September 20, 2003, at 11:55  PM, Jim Laurel wrote:

> Wrong, Eric.  Digital photography is indeed about to be crammed down
> our
> throats

Eric
Carlsbad, CA

http://www.jphotog.com

"Clichés are like analogies. At the end of the day, you're just beating
a dead horse"

Replies: Reply from Tina Manley <images@InfoAve.Net> (Re: [Leica] Digital shoved down our throats)