Subject: Re: [Leica] Where the buck jumps -- guidelines
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 17:15:25 EDT

In a message dated 9/15/03 11:09:16 AM, abridge@mac.com writes:

<< You know, if the E-1 or other digital people are going to be convincing
then
you're going to have to shoot the same scene with film and the E-1 at nearly
the
same time. How much subtle detail was lost that film would have captured in
the
cloud and especially in the dark building in the foreground of this image.

If we're REALLY going to understand digital, film, and the
advantages/disadvantages of each then we need to challenge each equally. >>
A valid point. Something we must consider. Digital is more of a radical
transformation of information than is film. I know of no way to deal with this
problem than to just tell the viewer which of the two visual formats we've used.
Then let the viewer decide whether that distinction makes a difference to him
or her.

I agree with Adam, this isn't by way of being critical of digital. Speaking
only for myself, I've decided to use digital when I need an image quickly, a
negative isn't necessary, and for social occasions or education, in which that
little preview picture or its TV display is part of the good fellowship and
entertainment. That can be more often that I thought, I'm beginning to realize.

Ultimately, which format we use is up to us; it's not the decision of the
viewer or client. So it's an elitist decision, just as are the ethics, the
equipment and materials of a doctor or dentist or cabinet maker or engineer chooses.
The public is only indirectly concerned. It's only when something goes wrong
that we're called on the carpet. In any case, those are my personal guidelines.

br