Subject: [Leica] Re: Vulcanite patching help needed - M4 - thanks
From: Andrew Nemeth <azn@nemeng.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 05:44:35 +1000

On Tuesday, September 16, 2003, at 12:51  AM,
"Steven Blutter" <steven2244@ameritech.net> wrote:

> - -There is a bit of vulcanite chipping on my M4:
>
> <http://www.sblutter.com/Chipped_Vulcaite_Steven_Blutter.htm>
>
> that I don't want to get out of control.
>
> The patches I did on an M3 with melted black crayon actually still
> looks
> good after 5 - 6 years, albeit clearly amateur but easily removed.
>
> - -I bet you guys have an even better solution - any (at home)
> suggestions?
> Its strictly a user.

1.  See the v.detailed topic I have on this in the Leica FAQ I maintain:

<http://nemeng.com/leica/032b.shtml>

2. I just used small amounts of Liquid Electrical Tape to repair the
small
hole where the vulcanite had chipped off underneath the lens mount
of my M3.  A toothpick, a small amount of LET and the patch worked
v.well.  Indistinguishable from the original vulcanite!

LET can be removed later too, unlike black carbon/araldite mixtures
which have to be blasted off.  This comes in handy if you decide later
to recover the entire body with <www.cameraleather.com> leatherette.

Regds,

Andrew Nemeth
Blue Mountains  NSW   Australia