Subject: Re: [Leica] Impact and lens mount of R8, Focus shift?
From: "David W. Almy" <dalmy@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2003 15:21:28 -0400

Martin,

I have had two R8 lens mounts replaced due to camera lens mount warping,
probably due to some sort of impact damage or improper support of the
lens/camera with too heavy of a lens mounted. $600+ each time, ouch. The R8
lens mount is not stainless, as the lens mount metal is. Hold the camera up
to your eye with the lens mount parallel to the sky. Without a lens mounted,
look at the rubber mount seal and see if it rises or falls as you rotate the
camera. The symptom of a bad mount, other than what you described, is focus
that is tack sharp on one side of the photo and out on the other.

Hope that helps.

David W. Almy
Annapolis