Subject: Re: [Leica] metering hot air balloons at dusk
From: "Steven Blutter" <steven2244@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 08:10:05 -0500

1. I would probably use a polarizer for sky/cloud separation -
2. Would use 200 instead of 400 - I don't think balloons are so fast that
you need to give up grain for 1 stop
3. meter an area with your choice of depth of blue sky from the polarizer -
frame equal sky & cloud - note setting
4. stop down 1/2 stop if sky is deep blue, 1 whole stop if cloudy/overcast -
to get balloon colors to pop
If you point in a different direction, redo
start with f:8 and adjust shutter speed - if 125 > 1000 go with it.

or
meter on some grass or other neutral area  - find right setting for that -
don't change unless the light changes.
Use both bodies with different length lenses.  the polarizer is easier on
the R - on an M it takes practice
then
- -forget about all that and concentrate on moment/composition
- -shoot a lot of film
- -amaze yourself
and
Enjoy!!!  Sounds like fun!
Steven
or
rent a helicopter and shoot them from above!