Subject: RE: [Leica] Focus on the CV 35/1.2
From: "Don Dory" <dorysrus@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 23:01:36 -0400

Alastair,
A focusing tab on a lens for street shooting works great as long as you
have some DOF to work with.  With a tab you can get pretty close to 3,
5, 10ft or 1,2, or 3 meters.  The point is that at F5.6 and a 35mm lens
if you are off 1/3rd meter you will still have a sharp image.  But at
F1.2 you are going to have to bring the finder up to your eye and focus.
Like the Noct this lens should be used below F2 or there is no point to
owning one.

I must admit though, that if someone asked me which 35mm lens to get,
with prices for the Cosina 35 F1.2 below $850 I would have to say get
the Cosina and then pick up a Summaron or a Canon 35 F2.8 LTM for when
you want small.  You cost will still be near a thousand, less than the
Leica offerings and not much more than a clean 35 Summicron IV.

For lens choice we are back in the late fifties or early 60's:  really
good choices from a variety of manufacturers plus all the old goodies.
We are truly in a wonderful time for film.

Don
dorysrus@mindspring.com