Subject: RE: [Leica] paris
From: "Steve Unsworth" <mail@steveunsworth.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 10:43:01 +0100

Oh yes, Bertillon is a must :-) They have several shops on Ile St Louis - at
the back of Notre Dame - and you sometimes see their ice cream in cafes.

Also try to get to see one of the Sunday markets, great photo opportunities.
I always liked rue Moufftard - nearest metro is Place Monge - always lot's
going on, usually with a public sing-song/dance at the bottom of the hill.
You can then walk back up Moufftard and if you continue in a straight line
you get to the Seine near Notre Dame. There's also a big Sunday market in
rue de la Convention in the 15th - metro Convention.

I didn't like the wide boulevards very much, Haussman screwed up in my
opinion. Good for cavalry I suppose. I preferred the narrower streets.

The cemetery at Pere Lachaise is worth a visit if you want to go somewhere
different.

If you're going for a week it may be worthwhile buying a weekly 'Carte
Orange' transport pass. This allows you unlimited use of the metro, buses
and the little funicular near Sacre Coeur. Better value that the tourist
passes that you can buy. You'll need a passport sized photograph.

But don't forget the ice cream, even if the weathers bad. The fruit sorbets
are fantastic.

Steve