Subject: Re: [Leica] Follow up on Xtol dilutions
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 19:53:49 -0700

Don Dory wrote:

> I processed two batches of film today using 70ml Xtol/210ml water per 36
> exposure roll of film.  One batch of Neopan 1600 and one batch of
> Across.
>
> Per my usual practice first minute continuous inversions with a twist,
> 10 seconds every two minutes till the end.  Two minute water bath with
> no agitation other than a rap to remove air bells.  Fix and wash per
> archival standards.
>
> The negatives look very good and I will post and example as soon as time
> permits.  I have a few highlights that are very dark so I am not at this
> point exhausting the developer.
>
> Don
> dorysrus@mindspring.com

As i see it the twist you gave it this time just clears off the surface
of the film real well -- a tad better than usual leaving a better
surface for fresh strong developer to be there and do it's job. The
difference to me would be very very slight unless you did it every
agataion cycle.

I look at wet negs but its a problem. Tell us how those bullet proof
dots look after they dry and see how they print. Maybe they're not so bad.

Stuff can happen like you know you're going to do this new thing in the
dark so you alter your shooting; exposing approach. Then you blame the
darkroom thing.

Only one variable at a time (not that you're not doing this)

otherwise you got notin.

By the way doing continuous agatation like the Jobo you should try
thinner dilutions than 1:3 folks.

 Like 1:4 and be there. I bet it works. Works better. Work Work Work.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com