Subject: Re: [Leica] re: gun now Marc praising McClellan?
From: "Greg J. Lorenzo" <gregj.lorenzo@shaw.ca>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 16:56:18 -0600

Hi Don,

Next to books on the Campaigns of Napoleon the American Civil War is
probably the most written about military history ever.

Google can only refer you to brief biographies and summaries. I would
suggest that you look at borrowing from a local library the books
written on this subject by authors such as Bruce Catton.

I tend to avoid reading too much about two wars in recent military
history, these being; WW I and the American Civil War. The reason being
both of these wars involved tactics and strategies that were far behind
the advances in military weapons, etc.. The Civil War ended in Trench
and Siege Warfare later in the war and can be considered as a precursor
for the use of similarly ineffective and wasteful tactics in WW I.

One of the most interesting characters to hold senior command on either
side during the US Civil War was Nathan Bedford Forest a Confederate
General. Forest was a pretty nasty piece of work and an unrepentant
slave owner and trader. He was self taught in military tactics and
probably the most effective calvary general and tactician to emerge. One
Bedford Forest quote you've probably heard of is in order to win battles
you need to "get there firstest with the mostest". An excellent book on
Forest was "A Battle From the Start the Life of Nathan Bedford Forest"
written by Brian Steel Wills.

McCellan was an able trainer of men but totally inept in the field. Not
a desirable feature in any military leader! Lincoln one asked him if he
didn't have a use for the Union Army perhaps Lincoln could borrow it for
a while.

To keep this somewhere near to being on topic, the US Civil War is the
war where photography was used extensively for the first time. Brady
being the best known photographer.

Regards,

Greg