Subject: RE: [Leica] MP or M7, which one has better build quality
From: "Charles E Cason Jr" <cec@vbe.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 11:52:55 -0500

I have and use a classic M6.  I feel it is solid as a rock
and everything is as smooth as silk.  I can't imagine that
it is a useless camera without the built in light meter.  I
went for a long period of time without a battery in my M6.
I have no problem with the viewfinder, no flare.  It is
bright, has all the right frame lines and is easy to use.  I
never use flash, so many of the improvements of later M6s
and M7s don't offer me anything.   It loads in a moment and
ready to go.
I think there are a lot of m6s for sale just because there
are many who want the highest umber out.  It's the same with
the R8 and R9.  I have seem some R8s sell for around $700.
When the digital back becomes available will the R9  have
that much advantage over the R8.  In my opinion owning
Leicas for many people is really a numbers game.  I don't
include those who make a living with it, just us amateurs.
So, I would say, get a mint M6 since they are so cheap right
now.  And get the one with the rangefinder that suits your
eye relief.   I personally like the .72.

Subject: Re: [Leica] MP or M7, which one has better build
quality

It's Leica.  There should be no difference in build quality.

In my opinion, the difference is electronic control vs
mechanical
control of the shutter.  The M7 has electronics controlling
the shutter;
the MP doesn't.
Neither does the M6
The "build quality", or more so "longevity" of
electronics is orders of magnitude different (lower!) than
the mechanics
of the MP.  In 50 years, I bet there will be a bunch of dead
useless
M7's around,
But there wont be any useless M6s
but the MP, M3's, M4's, IIIg's, etc will still be firing
away (if you can buy film).  And in 50 years, I bet all the
M6 meters
will be dead or useless.
Who cares about the meter in the camera that mush anyway?

If your usage lifespan is 5 to 10 years, I would expect the
electronics
to stand up and work.

But as a counter-argument, I have a Contarex Electronic in
my collection
that is still firing fine, after I brought it back from the
grave.  But
it has discrete electronics, no integrated circuitry.

I am saving my dollars for an MP.

regards,
Vick