Subject: Re: [Leica] Buying a used M2 - What to look out for?
From: Vick Ko <vick.ko@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2003 11:11:41 -0400

You don't have to trim the leaders for the M2.
1)  may sure there is a film takeup spool
2)  ask about when it was last serviced.  The camera is likely 35 years old.
3)  check the rangefinder alignment, at horizontal and at infinity.  If
it doesn't line up, count on spending money for a servicing.
4)  check shutter speeds and sounds.  Leica has a specific sound, and a
transition at 1/30 as the slow speed escapement engages.  There is the
unique "double bounce sound" when the shutter completes its release
5)  the film wind and shutter tensioning should feel smooth.  If it
feels like gear teeth engaging, it is time for a servicing.  Same if you
hear squeaks.
6)  check the movement of the focus feeler arm.  Is the action smooth
and springy?
7)  check the speed of the curtain travel on B.  Does the curtain open
at that same speed as it closes
8)  do the different frame lines engage and is the action springy or stiff
9)  check the back door and pressure plate.  There shouldn't be any
scratches on the pressure plate
10)  check the shutter for holes and condition of curtains.  They should
look supple and complete, not dried out.
11)  shoot a roll of film immediately using all speeds and check for
evenness of exposure.  Especially look out for a bright edge, indicating
inadequate shutter brake, and need for servicing.  Arrange a
return/evaluation period to give you time for this.

Are you buying from a store, or a private individual?  If it is your
first time, I might recommend buying from a reputable store first.

Does the seller know what he/she is selling you?  Will he take it back
if you aren't happy?

Factor in the cost of a servicing ($200~$300 plus time) if you intend to
make this your primary camera.

Many of the reputable Leica dealers also have used stock, so you can
compare prices, and a store will offer followup support if the camera
shows a fault.  A private seller might not offer support after the sale.

Good luck.
Vick