Subject: Re: [Leica] re: gun now Marc praising McClellan?
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2003 01:27:59 EDT

In a message dated 9/6/03 8:13:11 PM, jerryleh@pacbell.net writes:

<< Grant was the reverse:

> he cared little for the setting-up of an Army, but knew how to use it.  The

> Armies he was with at Appomattox, those of the James and Potomac, had been

> much ground down by the incessant combat from the Wilderness to Five Forks

> and were not nearly the instrument they had been in the spring of 1864:

> this was Grant at his best, using a tool to the limit of its strength and,

> thus, winning a war. >>
Americans love to palaver about the Civil War. It was the turning point when
the US created itself on the field of battle morally and economically. Few
other nations have had that revelation. As for Grant, he was a lot more than a
master of attrition and a driving campaign. He devised strategies for the
defense of the West, the repulse of the attack on Washington and the materiel
destruction of the Confederate's transport and supply resources. He waged a
3-dimensional campaign coordinated with the Navy. And he used his resources to the
hilt. He also knew how to choose generals. Sherman and Sheridan fully understood
his strategy and timing. We don't know what Moses and Joshua looked like, but
we have excellent photographs of Lincoln and Grant. So US history is firmly
established in visual and narrative facts and revolutionary amendments to the
Constitution.

br