Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Linux on Apple (was Old Mac programs)
From: Marc Attinasi <attinasi@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 20:24:59 -0700

Just to be as obscure and unsupported as possible, I run Linux on my
Apple Powerbook G4 Ti. The distro is called Yellowdog
(www.yellowdog.org) and it is very nice as Linux installs go - based on
RedHat but rebuilt for the PowerPC architecture. One amazing thing is,
it comes with the GIMP, for free, which is a fantastic image
manipulation program for those who cannot afford the $40 Photoshop
Elements 2.0 program. Most essential Linux apps and utilities come with
the install, including OpenOffice in case you cannot find a copy of MS
Office for OS X to steal.

If you have some spare space on your G3, G4 or G5 machine, download a
copy and try it out. If nothing else you can get a cool sticker from
Yellowdog and put it on your car and look like a real geek.

Cheers!
- - marc