Subject: Re: [Leica] Old Mac programs
From: mcintyre@ca.inter.net
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 2003 15:22:56 US/Eastern

The main problem with smaller utilities and applications on the mac is that the developers
take shortcuts with the programming process. As I understand it, Mac apps are supposed to
make
calls to the OS toolbox only, not directly to the hardware. However, this complicates the
programming process, and since most of the DAs, INITs and cDevs are free/shareware,
skipping these
steps save a lot of time and headaches. But they also become much more constrained as
which level of Mac/OS they will work on.

That being said, I think there will be a limit to backwards compatibility, even for the
mac's more "closed loop" environment. But on of my favorite mac apps is MacDraw II. It has
very nifty CAD
features that make designing carpentry projects a snap.  I wish I had a similar app for my
PC (being OS bilingual and all).