Subject: RE: [Leica] New photos/Arbus/Sontag
From: Tim Atherton <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2003 21:33:48 -0600

> Re: Sontag.. "She's translated in 28 languages, has won many awards"
>
> And according to many, can't take a picture in any of them!
>
> (Apologies to Casey Stengel and Moe Berg)

I really don't quite understand this - you need to take photographs (of some
certain unspecified standard) before you are allowed to write or criticize
them? (mind you, who hasn't taken a photograph?)

surely everybody can look at photographs - isn't that what they are for (and
aren't we always praising the "democratic" nature of photography and the
photograph itself?).

How many photographs does the average person look at and understand during a
day? Just flicked through vogue, Newsweek or the NY Times - that's a hell of
a lot of experience of photography that most people have.

You don't need to be a photographer to view, talk about and understand
photographs any more than you need to be a painter to be allowed to look at
and talk about what you think or feel of a Picasso or Van Gough.

This is one of the more ridiculous things I've ever heard on here.

tim

(PS - how many on here, who criticize the build of the M7 or the M4P or the
qualities of the Noctilux are certified machinists, engineers or optical
engineers? The rest of you just shut up then and keep your thoughts to
yourselves...)