Subject: [Leica] Gun control
From: LRZeitlin@aol.com
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 19:57:57 EDT

Don writes:

<<When the crooks start running off with the Englishman's Leica's because an
owner in the UK protecting his property gets in more trouble than the crook,
then these illiberals will start thinking it might be nice to live somewhere
that allows one to protect his/her property and family.

Don,

Several years ago I wrote this newspaper column as part of as series called
"The Grass is Always Grayer Next to the Slate Mine: Forty Five letters from
Wales." I think it supports your point nicely.

"   If you read the glossy travel brochures you might think that Britain is
an island overflowing with peace and tranquility. How untrue. The newspapers
and TV newscasts are fond of derogating the USA but they seem to be stuck in a
vision of Prohibition era Chicago with junior league Al Capones shooting up the
neighborhood and the Mafia running the corner pizza parlor. The Columbine
school shooting is a case in point. Rather than treating the problem as a case of
uncontrolled high school angst that needed a lot of parental attention and
some hands on school supervision, it was all blamed on the US Constitution and
the National Rifle Association. Britain has the moral high ground here. They
banned hand guns after a similar shooting a few years ago. What the papers
didn't mention was that the murder rate in Britain is almost as high as that in the
US except that the weapons of choice are cricket bats, broken Guinness
bottles and assorted blunt objects.

    There were also three bombings in London's minority districts last week.
A neo-Nazi group claimed credit for the nail bombs which exploded in Black,
Bangladeshi, and gay neighborhoods, killing three members of a wedding party and
wounding dozens. While the papers couldn't blame this on the lack of US gun
control laws, they pointed the accusing finger at the Internet. It seems that
survival fanatics living in Montana have posted plans for bomb making. To prove
their point, the papers reprinted detailed instructions on how to make the
terrorist bombs. All it takes is the powder from a box of shotgun shells poured
into a pipe, a cheap alarm clock as a timer, and a bag of hardware store
nails. Easy. Any child can do it. And given the detailed information in the papers,
one probably will. Even without the Internet.

    The British don’t need guns or bombs to kill people. Syringes will do
just fine. Dr. Harold Shipman, a general practitioner, was just indicted for
killing three hundred of his patients. Not through malpractice but through
cupidity. Dr. Shipman had his elderly patients sign over their property to him for
safekeeping. Soon after, the patients took a turn for the worse and died in
their beds with Dr. Shipman in attendance at the final moments. A journalist took
the time to calculate that Dr. Shipman was singlehandedly responsible for more
deaths than all of Britain’s serial killers combined.

England (not Wales) has twice the rate of property crime as the US and four
times the rate of auto theft. In central London the probability of finding your
car radio still in the car after a night parked on the street is roughly the
same as winning the lottery. That is if you are lucky enough to find the car.
Most cars are sold with "immobilizers", little devices which enable you to
disable a vital portion of the ignition circuitry when you park. Armored steering
wheel covers are a big seller. These are jimmy proof steel pie plates that
cover the entire wheel and prevent it from being turned. We don't have either an
immobilizer or a steering wheel since our car wouldn't tempt the hungriest
crook. Actually we have taken to leaving it in the seedier parts of town with
the windows open and the ignition keys in the lock.

    The only statement not blaming the US for Britain's wave of violent crime
was an editorial in the London Times which suggested that if tough gun laws
were the only answer, then Washington D.C. would be the safest place in the US.
In fact, they pointed out, the safest places are Vermont and New Hampshire,
both states with the highest percentage of gun ownership in the country.
Perhaps, the editorial suggested, the stratospheric crime rate in Britain is because
there are too few guns. If home owners felt that they had a moral obligation
to shoot housebreakers and thieves it might convince a few bad guys to think
twice. Then Britons too could leave doors and cars unlocked - just like in
Vermont. The NRA would have rejoiced."

And I SHOT all the pictures during my stay with a Leica.

Regards,

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from frank theriault <knarf.theriault@sympatico.ca> (Re: [Leica] Gun control)