Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital Leica M
From: Feli di Giorgio <feli2@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 22:49:18 -0700

On Tuesday, Sep 2, 2003, at 21:18 US/Pacific, Eric Welch wrote:

> Actually there are. Photo District News did a professional survey some
> years ago for 35mm cameras and it was ranked: Nikon at number one,
> Canon came in second and Leica was third (with 12 percent of pros
> owning one.)

I spent a lot of time shooting demonstrations during the run up and
beginning
of the war and prior to that the big demonstration here in Los Angeles
with the whole
business in Jenin etc.

Over the course of the weeks I saw the following:

90-95% were shooting digital. The vast majority of them young guys and
gals.
I estimate it was a 60/40 split with Canon outnumbering Nikon.

2-3% were only shooting film. These were mostly veterans with beat up
Nikons
and oddly enough several foreign journalists with Nikon F5 and F3.
One guy with the current top gun Minolta.
I saw the vast majority of film shooters during the big Feb 15th rally
in Hollywood.

Maybe 5 of the guys with a digital camera also had an M6. Everyone of
them that I got
to speak to had b/w film in it. I believe all of them had a 35
Summicron ASPH. Most of them
were not from the US.

1 guy had, if I remember correctly, one or two R8 and one or two M6 and
no digital.
No, it wasn't Ted.

3 people shot Leica M. One male, two female.
The guy had two or three M6 with winders (new electric type).
One girl had two M6 and an xPan. All three cameras were beaten to hell
and she was, well cute.
One woman in her mid thirties or forties had an M6 with a 35 ASPH and a
new type motorwinder,
all fairly worn. She was interesting, because she looked like a real
New Yorker.

I don't count, because I'm not a working pro, just a hack.
I had an M2/35, M6TTL/50DR/90 Cron, IIIc/VC21mm and at one point also
an R6.2/50 ...all Tri-X.
The IIIc got a lot of double takes...

Feli

safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety. 				-Benjamin Franklin

feli2@earthlink.net