Subject: RE: [Leica] New photos - Diane Arbus
From: "Phong" <phong@doan-ltd.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 19:52:10 -0400

I have no way to know whether Diane Arbus was disrespectful
of the subjects or not.  I do not find her photography offensive,
just very sad.  She came across as a person with serious emotional
problems, with much suffering.  The way she photographed her subjects
came across to _me_ that she related to them, and that she recognized
that she was somehow different the way that her subjects are outwardly
different.  She recognized the grotesque in her nature.
I do not find her photography exploitative, the way Jerry
Springer is, which is very offensive to me.  I do not even find
any shock value in her photography, the way I feel about say,
Mapplethorpe's.

Just my opinion.

- - Phong