Subject: Re: [Leica] Computer question
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 12:56:34 EDT

In a message dated 9/1/03 8:26:50 AM, kenf@speakeasy.net writes:

<< Actually its windoze, a "fine" micro$oft product, and one of the
lamest excuses for an os ever marketed. Unfortunately most of the
suits that buy it are not bright enough to tell the difference between
good and bad technology. And stupid enought to fall for marketing hype.

The real name for MS Windows is MS Standardization. We don't buy Windows os's
because they're so great, but because of standardization. When I send a Word
or Publisher attachment to a colleague, chances are they have that application
in their hard drives and can easily open the document. That's what Bill Gates
is trading on.
And why Apple is always secondary. Also, the software outfits devote most of
their talent to developing applications for Windows primarily. We only get the
Mac version much later. Also, Gates, unlike Jobs, makes his OS's backward
compatible for most applications. But I can't use Mac applications I bought in
1995 or 96 or 97 with my Mac G3 Blue even running System 9. Yet I've seen folks
using DOS programs on new PCs. I certainly can use DOS stuff on my Dell
running Windows 98. Jobs is into innovation and novelty. The 17" LCD iMac is a gem.
But Gates is always there with continuity and a Windows OS that pros like to
tinker with, because you can get inside Windows in great detail, particularly
when you're analyzing network problems.
Gates is still servicing Windows98 with patches, updates, etc. So he keeps
his communications open with end users. As for digital imaging, Windows 98
handles my 5050 files with ease, even in a 1998 PC.

24,
Bob

Replies: Reply from Dennis Painter <dennis@hale-pohaku.com> (Re: [Leica] Computer question)