Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Wilfred Thesiger -- How North Vietnamese War Photogs developed in the field
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 08:02:59 -0700

Wow, how strange is this? That is way too similar to a dream I had last
night. I was back to working in darkrooms and I just couldn't keep from
exposing my film to ambient light before processing!  Dream? It was a
nightmare!

Is this my justification for my choosing digital? :-)

I really miss working in a darkroom. Maybe some day, if I keep my M
cameras, I'll pick up an enlarger and give it another try.

On Monday, September 1, 2003, at 06:46  AM, Thomas Schofield wrote:

> A few months ago I saw a TV show on North Vietnamese
> Combat Photographers.  They had to process the
> negatives in the field.  The darkroom was the nearest
> forest at night.  The photographer carried 2 dishes
> and pouches of powdered developer and fixer.  A few
> teaspoons of powder in each dish, stir, and run the
> negatives back and forth through the dishes.  Worst
> part is they only had 50mm lenses, no telephotos, so
> close-ups of combat scenes were particularly
> dangerous.
>
> Watching way too much History Channel!
>
> Tom Schofield
> --

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

"There exists a limit to the force even the most powerful may apply
without destroying themselves. Judging this limit is the true artistry
of government. Misuse of power is the fatal sin. The law cannot be a
tool of vengeance, never a hostage, nor a mortification against the
martyrs it has created. You cannot threaten any individual and escape
the consequences."
- --  Frank Herbert