Subject: [Leica] Digital Leica M
From: LRZeitlin@aol.com
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 10:08:30 EDT

<< Leica: A digital camera or back using the existing Leica M-lenses is
presently not possible  because of the short lens to film plane distance. >>

This is Leica speak for saying we have no plans to implement a digital Leica
M. To say that the rear focal distance is too short is nonsense. The distance
between the rear element and the film plane is significantly greater than 16
mm in all but a few extreme wide angle lenses. Don't believe me. Mount a lens,
open the rear inspection door, and, usung a plastic ruler measure the distance
to the film plane. In most cases the distance will be over 30 mm. Further the
grazing angle applies only when a full frame CCD sensor is used. Most digital
cameras that adapt film lenses (Canon, Nikon) use partial frame sensors that
serve to increase the apparent focal length by 30 to 50%. Even if a full frame
CCD were used, a simple plastic overlay lens on the sensor could correct the
problem.

Let's face it. The Leica M is at the end of its development as a useful
photographic instrument. It is being marketed as a piece of prestige photographic
jewelry. Leica is speaking with a forked tongue.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com> (Re: [Leica] Digital Leica M)
Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> (Re: [Leica] Digital Leica M)