Subject: Re: [Leica]was National Geographic scandal; now: quality
From: Feli di Giorgio <feli2@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 09:15:48 -0700

Yesterday I wandered down to the camera store to pick up some film
(remember that stuff?).
On my way out I had the opportunity to fondle a black paint MP .72. I'm
really impressed. The first thing that struck me was the weight. It
felt like my M2 with the DR mounted, although this MP had a black paint
35 Cron. The body had nice and crisp contours. The shutter release,
film advance etc. felt and sounded just like my M2. They even added the
"auf-zu" engraving back on the baseplate. I'm not a big fan of the
small shutter speed dial, but on the MP it turned very smoothly and
with a reasonable amount of resistance. I may be able to learn to live
with it. I cold definitely see an improvement in the finder. More
contrast and no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get the patch to
flare, although I wonder if the framelines could be swapped for those
of an M2. The paint itself looks great. Being new it was  fairly glossy
and every fingerprint showed up, but if I had one I would simply follow
Ted's advice and toss the thing in a clothes dryer with a handful of
pennies and that would solve that. The red markings are the wrong
color. The red is a shade warmer than the color used on older Ms, where
it is more orange. I also wish they had put the Leica logo on the top
plate in the right place. It looks a little weird where it is, but at
least it's back.

Anyhow, it's one hell of a nice camera. I mean a really nice camera.
Did I mention how nice this camera is? Damn Leica pushers...

Feli

 >On Sunday, Aug 31, 2003, at 05:16 US/Pacific, Seth Rosner wrote:
> From the descriptions I've read - and heard - of the new Leica MP, one
> could
> conclude that Leica AG has gotten religion and realized that there
> remains
> in the world a small cadre of people who do care about quality, will
> search
> it out and pay a premium for it.
>
> A independent Leica person well-known to this list has detailed how,
> up to
> and including the M5, every change Leitz made on an existing model was
> made
> to increase quality, reliability, strength and longevity, while since
> then
> changes to existing models have been made to save money.
>
> Reports are that Leica looked at the M6, took it apart, examined each
> part
> and determined to make it the best possible. If that is true, it is
> rare in
> today's world, perhaps unique.
>
> Gott sei danke.

Gott sei dank.

> Seth                LaK 9

safety
deserve neither liberty nor safety. 				-Benjamin Franklin

feli2@earthlink.net

Replies: Reply from Rei Shinozuka <shino@panix.com> ([Leica] the MP again)
Reply from Seth Rosner <sethrosner@direcway.com> (Re: [Leica]was National Geographic scandal; now: quality)
Reply from Vick Ko <vick.ko@sympatico.ca> (Re: [Leica]was National Geographic scandal; now: quality)