Subject: Re: [Leica] CV 35/2.5 pancake lens
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 23:45:10 -0700

Nathan Wajsman wrote:

> Ernie,
>
> There is nothing wrong with your eyes. You have simply discovered that
> Cosina makes some very good lenses under the Voigtlander name. I have the
> classic 35mm (optically identical to your pancake) and I am also very
> pleased with the results I get from it, as well as those from the 21mm
> Color Skopar. The one CV lens I did not like was the 50mm Nokton, because
> of its harsh bokeh, but with the wide lenses bokeh obviously becomes less
> of an issue. The CV lenses are fully on par with all but the newest Leica
> lenses.
>
> Nathan

CV lenses area certainly viable. Not really Leicalike but with more snap
than some of Leica's earlier designs in current glass.

I'm keen on a  12 or 24. I'm keen on what Cosina can give me which Leica
cant. This is what i thought they'd be at the beginning. But that's OK
as I see it.

I love 50's and near fifties. Near normals. 45's, and 60's. Just got the
45 pancake for the Leica N.  :) Not a CV but a CN.

But why the slew of CV lenses? Had to sell the real Leica lenses got get
shoes for the kids to go to Oberlin?

CV glass is fine glass. Not the glass we pass on to our grand children
the little monsters I've never going to have.

OK maybe the 75 2.5 I'm getting tired of waiting for Leica to come out
with a compact 75 or 90.

I think Cosina has kicked Leica's ass. Always a good thing. But I
wouldn't make a carreeeeeare out of it.

I enjoy over the past 10 years watching Leica go. It is not a boring
company with its head in the ground. The only third party deals I really
need on my Leica is the Abrahamsson vinder of great rapiditiy. I'm not
sure I'll ever be able to justify a third party one. One with a red dot
on it, too many parts and too small of a girth. Or boyth.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com

Replies: Reply from Nathan Wajsman <n.wajsman@chello.nl> (Re: [Leica] CV 35/2.5 pancake lens)