Subject: [Leica] Wilfred Thesiger
From: "Emanuel Lowi" <mano@proxyma.net>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 21:49:50 -0400

Sir Wilfred and I were friends -- we spent many hours chatting about our common
passion, the desert Arabs, at his flat in Chelsea and then, more recently, in Surrey
in the old folks home he retired to, the golden sword given to him by the Sultan of
Oman by his bedside. He was a rugged individualist of the type one is unlikely to see
again, and certainly in the pantheon of uniquely accomplished Leica photographers, he
was a great example of how one may live a life without becoming slave to others'
approval (he had some rather ornery opinions about a lot of things), while still
accomplishing some very valuable things. I'll miss him, and I urge others to check
out his books, both for their excellent stories and fine b&w photos. "Arabian Sands"
is one of the great classics of travel literature.

Emanuel Lowi
Montreal