Subject: Re: [Leica] National Geographic scandal
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 23:12:50 -0700

I am friends with the Photo Editor of Arizona Highways. Very nice guy,
though I haven't talked to him in some time. His way of treating
photographers is top-notch. He can afford to be very selective, and he
gets the best in the field. I too recommend the magazine to people
outside the state.

I keep my subscription going at this point for National Geographic
because ti's not the photo editors or the writers or the photographers
who are the problem. I do think the deterioration of the photography in
the magazine can be directly attributable to the massive cuts in time
the photographers are allowed to stay in the field now. Instead of six
to nine months, it's now normally six to nine weeks. The photographers'
hands are tied. It's a sad state of affairs, but the top management at
National Geographic have been making many, many stupid decisions over
the past 10 or so years, and it's finally becoming clear they are not
likely to ever reach the glory years of the late seventies into the
eighties.

On Friday, August 29, 2003, at 07:58  PM, Rolfe Tessem wrote:

> I've replaced the NG with a subscription to Arizona Highways, which
> has top quality photography and writing. To those who think that this
> publication isn't of general interest to those outside Arizona, I
> suggest you check out an issue.
>
> Unlike NG, which often sat on the coffee table unread, I read every
> issue of Arizona Highways cover to cover. It is really an excellent
> publication, photographically and otherwise.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is
proof
against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man [person] in
everlasting ignorance – that principle is contempt prior to
investigation."
- --Herbert Spencer