Subject: Re: [Leica] Another Possibility - was: Photo scandal at National Geographic!!!
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 21:07:59 -0700

on 8/28/03 5:49 PM, P2CON@aol.com at P2CON@aol.com wrote:

> I am inclined to think it may have been one of those 1 in 10,000 shots that we
> get every now and then.  It is quite possible that the mayfly shown rising out
> of the water was not the kingfisher's intended target.  Perhaps the kingfisher
> had just completed an unsuccessful head-first, wings folded dive to pluck an
> emerging mayfly off the water, and missed. Then, as it came back out of the
> water, and in it's first several wing-beats just a few inches off the surface,
> and a foot or two from the original dive point, it sees another mayfly
> emerging. He turns his head to look, opens his mouth to say Hot-Damn there's
> another one, and the cameraman, with his human reaction time and the camera
> with it's lag time and mirror flip time gets the shot. Remember, the Canon 1V
> has that amazing auto-follow-focus capability.

The water wouldn't have been that still.  Even if the bird dove in to the
water a few feet away there would have been some ripples.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Replies: Reply from Clive Moss <chmphoto@sbcglobal.net> (Re: [Leica] Another Possibility - was: Photo scandal at NationalGeographic!!!)