Subject: [Leica] Work in progress: Cooper's Hawk
From: Doug Herr <telyt@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 22:11:27 -0700

Two versions of the same bird; I posted the first photo a while back,
describing it as a work in progress:

 http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/coha01.jpg

The second photo:

 http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/coha02.jpg

I like the detail of the first version, and I prefer the composition of the
2nd. What makes the composition better for me:

) there's more tonal and color contrast between the hawk and background
) the background isn't as busy, while still suggesting the bird's forest
habitat
) the rim of light from the backlighting accentuates the separation of the
hawk from the background.

In each photo I used the old Leitz 560mm f/5.6 Telyt, Leicaflex SL and a
Kodachrome film. These are both quick scans so don't judge the color quality
too much from these files. My Tiltall tripod isn't as sturdy as it ought to
be to handle this lens, so I think the next time I have some spare bucks it
will go toward a heftier tripod (ugh!) and ball head. Shutter speeds were
abysmally slow, 1/15 and 1/8 sec, respectively, @ f/5.6, so for each
exposure I pre-released the SL's mirror and used the self-timer to minimize
vibrations. For the 2nd photo I was glad to have a lens that doesn't flare
readily.

I had been looking for this hawk's nest for several years and finally found
it this year as the young were preparing to leave the nest. Next spring I'll
know where to look.

Comments are always welcome.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento