Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Leica 90mm f/4.0 Elmar C prices
From: "Buzz Hausner" <buzz.hausner@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 18:37:56 -0400

I am not certain that we are answering Dennis Painter's original
question here.  However, let me start by noting that Dimitrov wins the
"Keep Banging Your Head Against the Pavement Award" for trying between
four and six Tele-Elmarits.

Having noted one LUG member's masochism, let me rise to the "Skinny"
Tele-Elmarit's defense.  How good a lens it is depends on two factors at
least.  One, the quality of the individual unit you acquire and, two,
what you expect from the lens.  My "Skinny" Tele-Elmarit (SN3452222,
German made) is wonderful.  I use the exceptionally deep 12575
reversible, metal shade and have never noted more than modest flare
except in extreme lighting situations.  "Skinny" Tele-Elmarits vary
wildly in quality from unit to unit and I have never seen in extensive
LUG discussions of this lens any pattern which would indicate good from
bad serial numbers.  They can be prone to flair, fungus and, if you
believe some photographers, flatulence.  As I have noted often, my
particular lens is perfectly healthy in all of these regards and it is
not for sale.  I own it only because it was the currently available lens
when I wanted to but a new 90 f/2.8.

Okay, but Photographer Painter asked about prices and it seems to me
that Elmar Cs run circa three to four hundred dollars and clean "Skinny"
Tele-Elmarits run six to seven hundred.  It has been a long time since I
owned an Elmar-C, but I remember it being about the same size and shape
as my "Skinny,' close enough that I can't imagine that size would
determine which lens you bought.  The Elmar C, at least my Elmar C was a
fine lens.  Not nearly so sharp as contemporary nineties, but plenty
sharp enough and contrasty.  I found f/4.0, however, to be a major
draw-back, not just because it limits available light work, but mostly
because it can't yield the shallower depth of field.

	Buzz Hausner