Subject: Re: [Leica] M lens and the EF-S lens, peas in the same pod?
From: "Andre" <andrepurdy@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 14:03:23 -0400

"The more compact sensor size of the EOS 300D means the camera's reflex
mirror can also be smaller, making it possible to bring the back of the lens
closer to the image sensor. The 'S' in the EF S nomenclature stands for
'short back focus', which describes this new system."

- -A quote lifted from dpreview.com

From what I can glean from the Canon press release the Digital Rebel will
take both standard EF and the new EF-S lenses the latter being possible
because of a smaller reflex mirror.  With that being the case it would seem
that even more R lenses might work with the new Digital Rebel than are
possible with the 10D.

- -Andre