Subject: [Leica] email delays
From: Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 08:17:15 -0700

The Sobig.F virus, which has been rampaging this week, has seriously clogged the world's email networks.

Here's an article from my local newspaper about it:

<http://www.bayarea.com/mld/mercurynews/news/6592028.htm>

Like most other mail servers, the computer supporting the LUG has been seeing about 25 times the normal load of email messages, causing all manner of problems. Most people are stupid and don't keep their antivirus software up to date, so when something like this comes up, it has free rein.

Yesterday I had to take mejac.palo-alto.ca.us off the network for about 6 hours while I cleaned viruses out of its email holding tanks. The server computer itself cannot be infected with a virus, but it receives tens of thousands of email messages that contain the virus, and they bog it down.

Brian