Subject: Re: [Leica] My kind of digital M camera - Ye Olde Time Macs
From: "David M. dorn" <dmdorn_ct_usa@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2003 20:04:31 -0400

> Jerry Lehrer wrote:
> Seth
>
> Rotary dial phones?   My first phone here in La Jolla had no dial at
> all.  All calls were made through the operator.
>
> Jerry

Do you remember your pre Rotay number?

I do, 256J, and an incoming call was three rings and a short.  The
operators name was Dorothy and you could ask her what was "on" at the
local movie house.  Also if you could not reach someone she could
usually tell you why,....they were out of town or were working late.
And last but not least, the 'Party Line' stories.  My Dad once got a
call about 3AM telling him that our friends son (about my age, 6-7 in
1948-49) had died suddenly from an asthma attack.  The next morning
about breakfast time, the phone rang...it was Ms. Busybody downline
saying she had picked up the phone by accident during the night and
"who was it that died?"  I can still hear my Dad's expletives and the
tag line that said something about "chopping down a telephone pole if
this ever happened again".

Gee, I miss Dorothy in this day and age...the internet's not the same.

David