Subject: Re: [Leica] What a prosumer camera is
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 12:54:34 EDT

In a message dated 8/20/03 9:29:38 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
henningw@archiphoto.com writes:

> Since even film is not completely analogue (film grain), lenses are
>  not perfect and output media have their own limitations on
>  definition, and we view the output with our own optical limitations,
>  we start defining a circle of confusion that quantifies what we
>  gather into a 'zone of focus' under certain shooting conditions.
- ----------------
That's about what I meant if I didn't express it well.
- ----------------
<<Digital takes that one step further; at one certain distance, the
'true focus distance', a point object is imaged as a single pixel.
Then, you have to be a definite distance off the 'true focus
distance' before the point is no longer imaged as a single pixel, but
as four pixels. That is digitisation, and it means that you have to
be a certain distance off the true focus before you can dectect _any_
loss of focus.>>
Then I would suppose that a good CMOS sensor would react more like a grain in
film. Therefore, the CMOS pixel would provide much sharper images. That could
be Foveon's strong point. And Foveon has made that claim, since a Foveon
sensor is arranged in depth, like color-sensitive layers in a color film.

br