Subject: Re: [Leica] What a prosumer camera is
From: Henning Wulff <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 22:45:16 -0700

At 1:29 AM -0400 8/20/03, Afterswift@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 8/19/03 9:22:12 PM, wlarsen@ocsnet.net writes:
>
><< This has to rank with one of the most meaningless statements
>
>I have ever seen on the LUG or any other camera newsgroup.
>
>Since the plane of focus is by definition the film plane,
>
>groundglass, sensor plane, etc...what does this statement
>
>have to do with anything meaningful?  Are you saying the
>
>concept of hyperfocal focus is nonsense? >>
>
>Bill,
>
>The image is out there in front of the lens. You focus on some plane in that
>image. You don't focus behind the lens because what happens behind the lens
>depends on what's in front of it. You don't focus on the film plane
>because all
>that's there is a piece of film or a sensor. Hold your fire up to the subject.
>I shoot the subject. I don't know what you shoot. Photography isn't diagrams.
>
>br

To some degree it is. And it definitely is physics. If you have a
certain plane of focus, a certain depth of field defined by the focal
length, the aperture of the lens and the sensitivity (in Mp) of the
sensor, you have a zone of focus; not just a plane as with film, but
a zone.

Depth of field takes on a new meaning with digital cameras, and
becomes especially significant with their short focal lengths. Zone
focussing actually means now that a _ZONE_ is _IN FOCUS_, not just a
plane with some additional space before and behind in near focus.

It is a consequence of digitisation.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design