Subject: Re: [Leica] Leitz Summitar Question
From: "Greg J. Lorenzo" <gregj.lorenzo@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 19:48:04 -0600

Karen Nakamura wrote in part:

> Today, I  picked up a Leitz Summitar 50mm f/2 lens (ser #657xxx) in
> excellent condition with both caps (original front cap) and leather
> case for $150 at National Camera (www.natcam.com).
>
> So what's the consensus on this lens? I know that it was reformulated
> for the Summicron but peering at the Hove book at National Camera, the
> MTF curves seem pretty similar.  I'm hoping that it has a "classic"
> look.  I like my sharp, modern aspheric lenses, but I love the
> lower-contrast, higher-resolution of older lenses and hope that this
> one has the "look."
>
> Karen

Hi Karen,

To add to what Jerry and Marc have said: I have this lens and it gives
wonderful results. A lens hood is an absolute necessity when using this
lens outdoors or in bright indoor scenes!  The Summitar really does
provide an unique look compared to more modern glass.

I now shoot about ninety percent B&W film and 10 percent or so colour
film. I especially like to use this lens when shooting colour film.

Regards,

Greg

Message from Karen Nakamura <mail@gpsy.com> ([Leica] Leitz Summitar Question)