Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW 33 dlridings
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2003 19:22:22 -0700

Achilles,

Not only that, but multiple CDs, one stored off-site.

I do keep a 200 GIG external firewire hard drive to back up my regular
hard drives. Modern hard drives and the right software can let you know
if a hard drive failure is coming. As long as you have a regular
maintenance program.

And how many people keep their Leicas on a regular maintenance routine?
You need to send them in for CLAs at least once ever 10 years! :-)

And those needing batteries? Swap in new ones ever year whether they
need them or not (except for the Lithium Ion batteries  in the R8s
winder and motor drive).

On Sunday, August 17, 2003, at 08:55  AM, Aquiles Almansi wrote:

> Same experience, so I use Maxtor external hard drives.
> On must be careful with HD size, however. I have lost
> 5 o 6 drives (and all the information they contained)
> over the last 15 years.
>
> If one has the time to do it, there's no substitute
> for burning CDs with the images one cannot afford to
> lose.
>
> achilles

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

Never slap a man who's chewing tobacco. - Will Rogers.