Subject: Re: [Leica] No digital comments?
From: Eric Welch <eric@jphotog.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 18:49:50 -0700

I take great umbrage to any claim that war photography is either
shallow or limited. Not one person on this list could hold a candle to
the talent of Jim Nacthwey (and that's no put-down to anyone!) who has
war photography as the vast majority of his life's work. He does other
things as well, such as the orphans in Romania after the downfall of
its dictator (I'm not going to even try to spell his name!), That being
said, his war work is simply amazing and he will be remembered as one
of the greatest photojournalists in history. Few people have his nerve,
savvy or an eye that come together in such an effective package.

Be that as it may, Capa was known for more than just war photography.
He organized a world-wide project dealing with children. The man was a
unique figure in the world of photojournalism. Magnum is his living
legacy (as well as Cartier-Bressson and the other founders). But he is
particularly responsible for its early success.

On Friday, August 15, 2003, at 12:53  PM, Eve Girard wrote:

> Though we remember Capa as a war photographer, his work was not
> that shallow or limited

Eric Welch
Carlsbad, CA
http://www.jphotog.com

"A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is still
putting on its shoes."
- -- Samuel Clemens (Mark Twain)

Replies: Reply from "Eve Girard" <evegir@reachone.com> (Re: [Leica] No digital comments?)