Subject: [Leica] was digital - now community
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@ncable.net.au>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2003 08:57:39 +1000

On Saturday, Aug 16, 2003, at 01:56 Australia/Melbourne, Ernest Nitka
wrote:

> In the final anaylsis it's the repartee, the friendships made, the
> hope of someday dropping in on a LUGer in another part of the world (
> Don't worry Alastair - I'd call before hand:) that keeps me here.  So
> while the list may no longer serve your needs Chandos it still serves
> mine and in a selfish way would love to see you stay.  A truly selfish
> reason.
>
> I also have this theory which only pertains to some but not all middle
> aged males - it's that I find as a middle age male hard to form
> friendships like Woman do - that was until the internet came along.
> The ability to email, chat etc has made a difference.

Ernie, you would be welcome any way ;-) I actually wrote a letter last
night: my friends hate it -- what do I do now, write back? My selfish
reason is to include images, the ones I made as test prints before the
final enlargement. I use them as postcards and to illustrate the
letter. Your point Mr Firkin:

In my letter, I discussed making friendships, and concluded that I made
strong friends in Junior school (5 - 12) few at secondary school
(13-18) many in university (18-24), moderate numbers whist doing
advanced training (24-36) few at work (36-who knows when), and a whole
new group on the LUG (41-now). The common theme was usually a bond of
"growing" or "learning". I have grown and learnt on the LUG and as a
result, met and made new friends.

Cheers

Alastair