Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica 8 mp and lens lockout
From: Kyle Cassidy <KCassidy@asc.upenn.edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 15:21:12 -0400

Adam asked:

>Can you confirm that it has a "lens eject" easy access feature to make lens
> changing quick and easy - but that the button is too easy to depress
> accidently so at least two lenses hit the concrete in the middle of a
photo
> session? I've

Adam, this might be over-hyped. There is a lens-eject, but it's not as
convenient as I would like. One needs to press REALLY hard to get the lens
to pop out. Leica only loaned me one lens, so I didn't practice changing
lenses much, but I did pop it off and put it back on. It might loosen up
with time.

> heard this and found it difficult to believe a lock-out wouldn't be
> included in the feature list.
> And is there any truth the rumor of a purely black and white model at
> 16MP? I hear even the lens coatings are different!

Well, good news and bad news -- there is no "b&w only" camera coming out,
but the camera does have a b&w switch on it -- it's an actualy physical
switch too, which is cool, which you can set to "greyscale" or "color" -- I
don't know that there's a difference in image size. I only ever used it in
color mode. Horst and the two other guys from Leica who were down had some
photos that (crap, I forgot his name) some NYC Leica guy did in the B&W mode
and they looked nice.

The coolest thing is that they gave me a hat that says LEICA and then
underneath it "the future of digital has been written"

Kc

Replies: Reply from "Sonny Carter" <sonc@sonc.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Leica 8 mp and lens lockout)