Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW 33-abstract photography
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@ncable.net.au>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 18:49:12 +1000

On Friday, Aug 15, 2003, at 00:11 Australia/Melbourne, Mark Rabiner
wrote:

> Alastair Firkin wrote:
>>
>> Stieglitz used clouds to represent abstractions and then called them
>> Equivalents. I saw a whole bunch of them a few months ago. By
>> themselves: the only way I'd seen them before, I thought why?, but in
>> group, I began to get  an idea of what he was after.
>>

> Yes Alastair! I just learned that "Equivalents" was Stieglitz's thing
> and not Minor Whites baby just last week.
> I thought they had to be hung in pairs side by side... Like diptychs in
> which your right eye is seeing something completely different from your
> left, OK equivalent from the left eye. You can see i confuse them with
> stereo cards and I'm sure that's the point.

I've not heard this in my readings about ES, but I'll look more
closely. Certainly, all the work I'd seen before were single images.

> I gotta say that two projector two screen slide shows are as big as
> ever. We had one at last years LHSA October meeting here in Portland.
> I've done quite of few of them of my own work but along time ago…
> But then if you want both screens to dissolve you need four projectors!
> A real handful.

When I started speaking at conferences, you were really up with it if
you used Dual projection. I loved it, but the advent of "powerpoint
presentations" (how I hate that expression) has killed it. I always ask
now for dual computers, but this causes stunned mullet looks as if I
was asking for a duel ;-)

Alastair