Subject: Re: [Leica] No digital comments?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 07:43:22 -0700

Karen Nakamura wrote:

> >to time. The prosumer compacts are alike under the magnesium, so what
> >difference does it make which of them we discuss. I could slap a
> >Leica red dot logo
> >on my Oly 5050 and come up with the same results as tho I used a Digilux. The
> >only difference is that the 5050 uses the remarkable xD cards.
>
> I'm hearing that there's now a carte blanche on talking about any
> digicam in the world we want to, from Kodak to Sony.  Then there's no
> reason to have a Leica-digital list. Why not just join a general
> digital list? If all digicams are equal, then why bother with the
> Leica label at all?
>
> This is why I'm objecting to the inclusion of non-Leica content in
> this list. I'm in the Leica list because I like talking about Leica
> equipment.
>
> Should I be free to talk about Canon EOS systems because we all know
> that Leica will eventually have to go AF anyway; and we all know that
> under the skins, all SLRs are essentially the same?
>
> Karen
>
> --
> Karen Nakamura
> http://www.photoethnography.com/ClassicCameras/
> --

One reason i especially don't like hearing about that particular off
topic besides all my Nikon friends scurrying over to Canon like lemmings
the traitors only to have Nikon leapfrog with the F5 and they've sold
the gear they went through college with...
The reasons why Canon in particular gets my goat being discussed on the
Leica list (I mean the LUG) is that what Leica photography is and has
been all about primarily despite the R9 a low tech deal. Most bodies
with no meter or battery and a CLOTH SHUTTER. A new camera gets you a
meter which bounces off a white painted dot on a cloth shutter curtain,
Canon being a huge multifaceted company in which cameras are the same as
their paper clip budget. Leica as we know is a very small mom and pop operation.

Modern Nikons have as much obnoxious micromotors an cpu's as Canons of
course do only you can take that high tech lens off your F5 or F100 or
F80 and put it on a 30 or 40 year old F or FM. Cameras made decades ago
when camera were cameras, the ones you usually shoot with if i recall
your website, Karen. And Nikon a tenth of the size of Canon.

.....Because we all know each other and may have no interest in joining
other lists --- we are on the precipice going from ultra low tech gear
to ultra high tech digital gear and it's very exciting and it's like
we're all pioneers.

It's like trying to talk about anything else but baseball in New York
City during baseball season during the Brooklyn Dodgers New York Yankees
world series's 1952 to 1956.. (I was there, but small)
There was NO other topic of conversation,

Working out the bugs in each Epson printer as they go along not that
there are many and the scanners and printing services and cameras.
Leica's got 2 point and shoot like non interchangeable lens types and
these cameras and these types of cameras are totally popular with top
people who shoot the big cameras for a living. Like Tina I believe they
also shoot the little cameras for a living (I believe Tina has said she
shoots about mainly with the DIGILUX now. I hope i didn't represent that wrong)

I'm glad some of these people who never got into darkroom work are now
printing. Inkjet printing is certainly printing.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com

Replies: Reply from Karen Nakamura <mail@gpsy.com> (Re: [Leica] No digital comments?)