Subject: Re: [Leica] mrs malaprop strikes again
From: Daniel Ridings <daniel.ridings@muspro.uio.no>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 08:42:14 +0200 (MEST)

Latin, Greek, Russian, Sanskrit, Persian, German, ... they are all
indo-european languages (languages from India (Sanskrit) to Europe.
Sometimes you will read "indo-germanic" since the Germanic languages
(Islandic) are at the other extreme. That became politically incorrect
after the war.

Romanian, French, Spanish, Portugese and Italian are simply what happened
to Latin when it got used in daily life. Eventually these areas stopped
calling themselves "Latin" (I think Dante still called his language Latin)
and they took on new names.

In general, you can say that "languages" are "dialects" that have acquired
an army and a navy. In other words, the names of languages are usually
determined by political factors, not linguistic characteristics. Just go
the the border between European countries. Ask the people on each side of
the border what language they speak and you will get a different answer on
each side of the border, even though they speak and understand each other
:)

In Sweden a distinction is made between English and American. There is a
difference. You can read "Translated from the American by so-and-so" or
"Translated from English by so-and-so". English is required in schools,
but students can, in the best of worlds, opt for the American variant if
they wish (have American parents, for example).

You don't have to check it out. I have my doctorate in classical languages
:)

Daniel