Subject: Re: [Leica] Is Noctilux hood necessary?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 14:37:27 -0700

Don't compare yourself to Ted, stick to normal humans. Ted's used to
having half a dozen cameras hung around his torso at once as he runs not
bumping into each other in the wrong places. Also before he did this
naked Noctilux he'd he'd been shooting a few decades. Also he's used to
driving race cars at whatever miles per hour or Kilos per hour. (They
've got hours up there don't they?)

As I go a wide angle lens can't get a hood that would do much for it.
One shaped to format would be more of a help (24x36) like I've got for a
50 Planar off a Contarex or those tulip shaped ones which are taking
over now in Canon and Nikon Zoomland.
A wide can use all the help it can get as they tend to be low contrast
and flarey. Also a physical protection at the sides. A bumper.

A normal lens can benefit greatly from as little stray light hitting it
off axis as possible. They can stick out quite far and envelop the front
element in cool comfortable darkness. .. where all the light rays are
above average.

The Noctilux is one huge hung of very expensive glass right up in front.
It could benefit form the physical protection as well as the optical
relief from the off axis light.  Bad light, bad!!

Unfortunately the one on mine, the built in one is one of the real
bloopers Leica has done in a while. It's a real joke as we've all
discussed more than once. I've not had mine removed though i used a
thick rubber band or some of Dr. Blacktapes finest to keep it out front
on not collapsing. But its too small and looks cheap.

Maybe if I had it taken off I could spray paint it with gold spray paint
and then have it put back on again. That would do the trick. What do you
guys just get one from B+H to screw in front? I think some third party
guy should come up with something I think the idea of screwing something
on the front doesn't cut it as it gets in the way. It has to be grabbing
from the outside or something else. With that felt stuff on the inside
like they used to use on lens shades when quality was a reality and
cameras were put together with wooden mallets.

The idea that the Noctilux would not need a lens shade because of a
special ability to take care of off axis light very interesting. But I
don't buy it. And there's also the physical protection thing. Rare earth
glasses from Pellucidar.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com