Subject: Re: [Leica] OT - B&W negative developing info. in general
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 07:42:35 -0700

Steve Unsworth wrote:

> I agree, I'd just pour it out of the 5 litre bottle as required and then
> make up another 5 litres when it was empty.
>
> Steve

Steve IF you go on the Darkroom Newsgroup you'll hear billions and
billions of people who've done that and been sorry. Darn sorry.
But then again you'll hear tens and tens who claim theirs was full to
the top when it happened.
But then you email them off list and finally pull the info out of them
(IS IT SAFE???) that they were using cheap plastic containers, non
filtered or distilled water, marbles to fill the liquid  to the top and
more weirdness I'm sure. OR "maybe it wasn't filled to the very top last
time." Its often a one strike and you're out deal.  Run one for the
Gipper!  I don't trust the  anarchic air that you pump into the bottles
to replace the regular air. I think air should have supervision! ("A"
something I can't find the word)

But boy if you are handling Xtol just like D76 like you say you are in
for trouble soon, son;
Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life.
And that's with a capital P. Which rhymes with T. Which stands for
erratic rapid oxidation of ascorbates when exposed to the smallest
amount of air. Which is very old news to the chemistry people.

But I hear it's OK on Tuesdays

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon USA
http://www.rabinergroup.com