Subject: Re: [Leica] slightly late PAW...and thanks to Jack McLain
From: "Jim McIntyre" <mcintyre@ca.inter.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 00:00:24 -0400

Bob,

My scanner (HPS20) software scans a thumbnail, from which I can adjust
cropping and exposure. The settings are a quite crude, really, but allow me
to adjust highlight, midtones and shadows. I scanned the first image to get
the contrast and detail of the girl, and the second to get some detail in
the orchestra. I then further adjusted contrast and brightness of each image
in an image editor, concentrating on the parts I knew I was going to use.

I then did a little "dodging and burning" in photopaint, selecting and
"feathering" areas to adjust, with the feathering set to not get hard edges.

To finish the image, I used a freehand selection around the girl, feathered,
and did a copy and paste into the other image. I lined things up visually,
and had my image. I also worked with the lower screen resolution image,
which is far more forgiving

I'm by no stretch a power user for photo software, but I'm pleased with the
improvement in the image. I think I could have achieved the same thing or
similar in the darkroom, with masking out and using double exposures with
differnet contrast filters. But I would have used up a few sheets of paper
in the process!

Hope that helps.