Subject: [Leica] OT - B&W negative developing info. in general
From: Frank Farmer <frankandaubrey@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 17:30:13 -0500 (CDT)

Greetings all,

Ok, after about ten years of abstaining from developing my own negatives I'd like to start again.  However, I have pretty much forgotten everything that is important to this process other than standing in the dark and remembering where you placed the lid to the tank.  So, my questions are these:

Has anyone found a site or book that has been particularly helpful with brushing up on darkroom skills?  I own a very old version of the Kodak Darkroom Guide but figure there are others.  Are there?  Just FYI - I shoot Ilford HP5+ or FP4+, Kodak Tri-X or Plus-X with a bit of Fuji Neopan 1600 mixed in for good measure.

Also, it seems that Xtol is the choice developer for many - sounds good - I would like to keep grain to a minimum most of the time.  Is there another I should start with?  Is Xtol a good start with those films?  What other "news" is out there?  Any general guidance on or off list would be appreciated.  Sorry if I missed any of this is in the archives.

Thanks in advance . . .

Frank

Replies: Reply from "Jack McLain" <jmclainaz@comcast.net> (Re: [Leica] OT - B&W negative developing info. in general)