Subject: Re: [Leica] The Panhandler...
From: Afterswift@aol.com
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 13:10:32 EDT

In a message dated 8/11/03 8:50:00 AM, steve@streetphoto.net writes:

<< It is something that I do to try and feel the different moods of
people, to show that there are all kinds of flowers in the garden, that life
is a rich pageantry. I just prefer to not take advantage of somebody's
disadvantage. >>

sl,

What is interesting is in the shot we're discussing, as I recall, the
photographer made what is essentially a portrait. Therefore, he wasn't including the
clothing -- other than the hat -- in his portrayal. We only know the subject
was a panhandler from the photographer's comment. He was identifying
personality, not economic or social condition. What we could read in the face is up to
the viewer. So I don't think the photographer was exploiting, in this instance,
the disadvantage of the subject.

Shooting someone crouching in a cardboard box is a matter of journalism. I
recall, when I walked down 34th St in NYC on my way to work some years ago, I
encountered a well-coiffed young woman sleeping it off on the sidewalk in front
of Macy's, dressed in splendid upper class clothes, with one shoe off and one
shoe on. Had I a camera with me, how would you have interpreted that shot?
Would I have been exploiting her condition had I made that shot. A woman given
into drink and whatever else? A momentary pariah? An embarrassment to her sex?
The weakness of the flesh?

br